I found myself daydreaming this morning. I was preparing a sermon on Worship and I began to thank God for all the Blessings in my life. As I sat and begin to do what that old song suggest we do; ‘Count my Blessings, name them one by one,’ a great excitement rose up inside. Of course these blessings are a promise and God always makes good on His promises.
I would like to share my good fortune with you today so I am going to let you in on these great promises from our Great God:
Deuteronomy 28 outlines the blessings I am walking in today. It goes like this;
“If you listen obediently to the Voice of God, your God, and heartily obey all his commandments that I command you today, God, your God, will place you on high, high above all the nations of the world. All these blessings will come down on you and spread out beyond you because you have responded to the Voice of God, your God:
• God’s blessing inside the city
• God’s blessing in the country
• God’s blessing on your children
• The crops of your land
• The young of your livestock
• The calves of your herds
• The lambs of your flocks
• God’s blessing on your basket and bread bowl
• God’s blessing in your coming in
• God’s blessing in your going out.
It doesn’t end there. The promise continues:
• God will defeat your enemies who attack you. They’ll come at you on one road and run away on seven roads.
• God will order a blessing on your barns and workplaces; he’ll bless you in the land that God, your God, is giving you.
“God will form you as a people holy to him, just as he promised you, if you keep the commandments of God, your God, and live the way he has shown you. All the peoples on Earth will see you living under the Name of God and hold you in respectful awe.”
Just in case we felt anything was left out, the promise added:
God will lavish you with good things:
• Children from your womb
• Offspring from your animals
• And crops from your land
• The land that God promised your ancestors that he would give you.
• God will throw open the doors of his sky vaults and pour rain on your land on schedule and bless the work you take in hand.
• You will lend to many nations but you yourself won’t have to take out a loan.
• God will make you the head, not the tail
• You’ll always be the top dog, never the bottom dog, as you obediently listen to and diligently keep the commands of God, your God, that I am commanding you today.
This promise began with the conditions of the promise, and ends with a reminder of those conditions:
“Don’t swerve an inch to the right or left from the words that I command you today by going off following and worshiping other gods. “